Many of you already know that I have been dying to make a yeast bread that actually works, not wet and dense and it has always been before. I am bound and determined to master the evil yeast monster head on! These bread sticks proved that yeast bread can be done, even gluten-free. Simple and easy to make, these will make great company for your italian dinner tonight!
What you will need:
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 C warm water (110-115°)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 cup all-purpose gf flour (divided) ( I use better batter)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
12 low moisture string cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 450°
- start by proofing your yeast. Add water,oil, sugar and yeast in a small mixing bowl, stir slightly to incorporate and allow to sit for about 10 minutes or until foamy and frothy
- mix 2 cups of flour, salt, and garlic powder in a mixing bowl and whisk to fully incorporate
- Slowly add the yeast mixture and mix with a spatula or spoon until everything in well mixed. Batter will be smooth and spreadable
- cover bowl with plastic wrap and warm damp towel, place in an area free of drafts and allow to rise for about 30-40 minutes
- remove wrap and incorporate the last 1/2 cup of flour. (you may have to start mixing by hand to fully incorporate
- the dough should be easy to handle, divide dough into 12 equal size dough balls. On a lightly floured surface take one ball and begin to press out flat, will need to be about 1/2 “-1” larger than the stick of string cheese.
- Place string cheese at the side of the dough and begin to roll it up, pressing the sides in as you go. Once it is rolled, pinch the seams to keep the cheese in nice and tight.
- place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Cover the baking tray with a towel and allow to rise again for about 10-15 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before eating, then serve immediately.